Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Starr Family Reunion

Jonathan's family joined us in Utah at the end of July for a big family reunion
to celebrate his parents' 40th wedding anniversary.

2 parents, 8 kids, 5 spouses, 12 grandkids (+1 on the way)... It was a grand time.

Jonathan had lots planned for everyone while they were here...
Schedule of Events:
Saturday: Family dinner at Uncle David's house
Sunday: Family dinner at Alena and Mike's house (Yummy pizza and calzones) with anniversary presentation to mom and dad (movies that emulated their personalities and values)
Monday: Visiting the Salt Lake Cemetery and Temple Square. Family dinner by Adam and Chanda (Chicken Fajitas and homemade refried beans) and family presentation to parents (compilation of family movies)
Tuesday: Visiting Gardner Village, petting zoo and Evan's birthday party. Family dinner by our family (Burgers, Chicken, fries, etc.) and presentation to parents (Madelyn and Jonathan sang "Families Can be Together Forever" and we gave them a framed picture of the Salt Lake Temple with their name and wedding date printed at the bottom).
Wednesday: Visiting Big Cottonwood Canyon. Family dinner at the canyon by Angie and Russell (foil dinners and peach cobbler) and presentation to parents (a game of family charades representing memories of parents/grandparents).
Thursday: Most of the family went to Raging Waters water park. Family dinner by Jacob and Tonya (Beef and cheese wraps and white chocolate chip cake) and presentation (singing by the girls and their Dad and gifts).
Friday: Football game and lunch at the park. German dinner by Amman and Jared and presentations (poem by Amman and top 40 things reminding him of parents by Jared).

A few Memories with Pictures...Photobucket
We had family pictures taken by Jonathan's cousin's wife, Britta. It was a beautiful day and stayed fairly cool throughout the entire session. It was challenging getting a good picture with that many people, especially with run-away-Evan, but we had several to choose from in the end!

Photobucket
At the beginning of the week we went to the Salt Lake Cemetery to visit the graves of Jonathan's grandparents. Madelyn is standing by her Great-Grandmother, Violet Mae's, grave stone. She passed away two months before Madelyn was born and is the namesake for her middle name. What a remarkable lady!

There were several sprinklers going on at the time and Evan got a bit wet running in and out of them. He had the biggest smile on his face, until he realized he was a bit cold. We also had lunch right by a big tree full of sap. I think I'm still trying to get it out of our clothes. It makes me smile though, thinking of this big group eating out of the back of a van on the side of the road.

It is always amazing to me to look out from the top of the cemetery and see so much of the valley. It is such a beautiful place and will be made
even more beautiful someday as many loved ones meet again.


Photobucket
We also visited beautiful Temple Square. The poor grandkids had to sit through several pictures, but I love seeing them all together.Photobucket
When we first moved here two years ago, I took a picture of Madelyn and her Daddy by the temple doors. She has really grown in two years, but, of course, still loves her Daddy so much.
Photobucket
And forty years later, I wonder if Grandpa and Grandma Starr knew what a growing posterity they would have. What a blessing.
Photobucket
It is always special to visit the statue of Christ at the vistor's center. I always feel such a peace and warmth when I am there. I love this picture of Madelyn. I think she felt the same way.

(Snack times were a favorite!)
Photobucket

These cousins have such a good time together. The older ones were so helpful and kind to the little ones. Maddy loved having lots of playmates to play Barbies, dress-up, and "house" with, and Evan throroughly enjoyed playing with his older cousins, Courtland and Bryant. They took him under their wing and he did not ever want to be away from them.

(At South Towne Mall with cousin Faith, enjoying the play area)
Photobucket

(Maddy, Leia, Aurora, and Violet)

Photobucket




Photobucket
(Photo by Aunt Chanda)

One day we had lunch at the park by our home and pigged out on Cafe Rio and Five Guys...Yum. Evan liked filling his cup with water over and over again, while the other kids enjoyed the slides and monkey bars. I guess it's the little things that keep him entertained.

Photobucket
We visited Big Cottonwood Canyon one evening. It is always a bit stressful with kids...water, fire, and sharp rocks...but I'm happy to report that everyone returned home safe and sound. The kids loved exploring things and playing family charades.

There is no place like the canyon. I love the smell of roasting marshmallows and fresh air.
Photobucket
(Photos by Aunt Chanda)


Photobucket

One night we ate at Buca di Beppo. I think it is safe to say we all LOVE good food and the family-style dinners were just right.
Photobucket
I think we all get a little goofy after stuffing ourselves and indulging on Italian sodas and dessert.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The following Sunday we had another family dinner at our home with Jonathan's aunts and uncles and their families. Evan was missing his other boy cousins that had left, so it was nice for him to have his cousin Kobe around to play and laugh with.
Photobucket
And yummy Triple C's (chocolate chip cookies)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Chloe and Aunt Heidi
Photobucket
Grandpa Bruderer (who just turned 92!), Uncle Jeff, Olivia, Grandpa and Grandma Starr
Photobucket
Aunt Kristi and Aunt Heidi
Photobucket
The next week Grandpa and Grandma Starr and Jonathan's brother, Jeremy stayed with us. Evan was hooked at the hip with Uncle Jeremy and loved cuddling and playing. Our family became sick that second week and Jeremy was a huge help in playing with the kids while we got some rest. Plus, Uncle Jeremy's humor was a much-needed addition to our home during that week. We loved having him with us and enjoyed going out one evening and watching movies on the big screeen together when we got home.

It truly was a grand time!

We had wonderful, grateful guests and

made so many great memories with our family.

2 comments:

Starry said...

I love seeing some of the pictures I had not seen yet, and I think it was great you just took a bit here and there because it was such a massive event. I like the family pictures you chose to use too, they were some of the best!

Chanda Starr said...

We loved every minute of our trip and miss you all even more now!! Who knew that was possible.