Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Nutcracker

Photobucket


Madelyn and I were able to go and see The Nutcracker Ballet by the Ballet West company last week. We had a special little girls date...just me and her. It was lovely. We went to Kneader's for dinner and over a grilled cheese sandwich and star-shaped sugar cookie we observed all of the beautiful Christmas decorations and lights. Then as we drove downtown the topic of discussion became a little more serious. It went something like this.

"Mommy, where will I be when Jesus lets me come back to life?"

"Well, it depends on where you are buried when you die. If you were buried in Utah, you would be resurrected here with your family." (I did not like having to answer these difficult questions, but this girl was very curious.)

"Will it hurt when I come out of the grass?"

"No, I'm sure Heavenly Father will make it painless."

"Pain? You mean it will hurt??"

"No, no. Our Heavenly Father loves us very much and it will be a special and happy day with no pain."

"How can I know for sure?"

"Well, Maddy you can always pray to your Heavenly Father and He will let you know in your mind and in your heart. That means if you are thinking something that is true He will let you know it is true with a warm feeling."

On Sunday she let me know that when she was fasting and praying to know if it would hurt, she felt a warm feeling and knew that it wouldn't. I was so proud of her effort to pray and her desire to find out the truth. What a special experience.

After we got to the theater downtown, we walked around and looked at the tall nutcrackers around the room. Maddy loved standing by each one and touching their hairy beards. She was very fascinated by them.

We got our treats and then the show began. I love the story of the Nutcracker and how magical it is and how it reminds me of that magical feeling of Christmas when I was little. I could see that light in Maddy's eyes as she watched the show come to life in the dancing, the lights, and the story. The last ten minutes she was very tired, but we made it through and home safely. She has talked about the story and the dancers and the costumes and going downtown together every day since. I love it.

I think this might become a new tradition for us...The Nutcracker Ballet.

1 comment:

Starry said...

What a truly special experience. She is becoming such a deep thinker and cares so much about being close to Heavenly Father. More than once this year Maddy has made my day with her sweetness and thoughtfulness. I'm so glad you got to share this tender, magical night together.