Monday, January 2, 2012

Grandpa Bruderer, 1918-2012

Photobucket

Our dear Grandpa Bruderer passed away yesterday afternoon, in his white button-up shirt and favorite blue hat. We will miss him dearly.

For the 14 years that I've known him he has been such a supportive, loving, fun, memorable presence in our lives. He was always so caring and thoughtful toward Jonathan and me when we were first married and then so interested in and loving to our children. He just lit up when he saw Madelyn Mae, always making sure everyone around knew that she was named after his dear wife, Violet Mae. I was always touched by that. He enjoyed being with Maddy and making her laugh. Occasionally we would have him over for dinner or take him out to his favorite restaurant, Chuck-A-Rama. I know and am grateful Maddy is old enough to remember him.

Jonathan and I spent the day reminiscing and sharing our memories of this vibrant man through laughter and tears. I'll never forget his stories and his awesome expressions. We would often have dinner together at Aunt Heidi's when Jonathan and I were going to school at the Y. We always loved quoting dear Grandpa Bruderer on the way home to our apartment in Provo...(Holy Moses! Good Gravy! and many other memorable expressions and moments). One time I needed to write a paper about a family member involved in world war II. That's when we discovered the miracle of Grandpa's life being spared at Pearl Harbor. He was supposed to be there on Dec. 7 but he happened to be out at sea that day getting help for a man with appendicitis. He was delayed a little more than expected and missed going to Wake Island, where he would have been taken as a POW, as well. Jonathan and I had never heard of this before, and we then began to realize what an amazing life he has had and all of the things he has seen. It is comforting knowing he is now reunited with his dear wife, parents, siblings and other family and friends on the other side. And this means more to me now after receiving a precious gift a week ago - a book of his oral history compiled by one of his granddaughters. I haven't been able to put it down since we received it on Christmas and now I keep thinking of all of the lives he has touched, the legacy he has left behind, and the people he is now seeing again in the spirit world.

I am so thankful for the last memory I have of Grandpa a week ago. We were able to see him for Christmas dinner at Jeff and Nicole's house. After he got there he kept trying to call my name but I didn't hear him because he was speaking so softly. Jonathan told me and I came over and gave him a big hug. It was very simple, but I remember thinking how much it meant that he still remembered me. He also kept making sure he knew our baby's name was Luke. He really wanted to remember that. These are very precious memories that I will always hold dear and that I want my children to know as well. He was a bold, strong, capable, intelligent man. He was a man of faith who loved the Lord and loved his family. He worked hard and has given all of us so much.

Until we meet again, Grandpa Bruderer...We love you!

2 comments:

Julean said...

Oh, Erica. Your 30th just wasn't meant to be full of positive events, was it? The world will be a little less good now that this awesome man is no longer living in it. I loved Grandpa Bruderer. Such a sweetie!

Grandma Starr said...

Erica, Thank you so much for your wonderful tribute to my Dad and all the beautiful pictures. I would love copies sometime. Love, Bonnie