Sunday, May 8, 2016

First things first

It was a wonderful 4th of July weekend and just what we needed after a long week apart with Jonathan on trek. But this morning we got right into the summer swing-of-things. 

I think summer is a time when things are more lax and laid-back at our home--and rightly so! But to keep our house feeling in order and our priorities straight, the kids (and I) know family prayer and scriptures and chores come first before we go out to dream and play.

Things on our list include doing one page from their school workbooks, practicing their instruments, completing a daily job, reading, and memorizing the scripture of the week. My favorite part is the reading because that is when I get one-on-one time with each of my kids. 

This little bit of effort from them sets our day off on the right foot. Today, play was overall fun and kind, conversations were thoughtful, and I noticed more helpful and cheerful attitudes. Does this happen everyday? No. But it happens more often than not when we set meaningful goals and accomplish those things that matter most first. 

No comments: