Sunday, May 8, 2016

Weekly Wrap


It was a pretty quiet week around here. We stayed inside most days, warm and cozy from the snow. But the sun is shining again as I type this and the kids are out playing kickball with their dad while Henry naps here at home with me. The biggest event of the week was Madelyn competing in the school spelling bee.

I look at my Madelyn Mae here and I think of the quote by Shakespeare, 

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."

As I mentioned last week, Madelyn made it into the school spelling bee and this girl studied hard all last week for yesterday's bee. I was a bit nervous right before the competition started because I just wanted her to do her best and to feel good about it all in the end. Her dad had given her a Father's Blessing before school to remember all of the words she had studied, to be calm, and to enjoy her experience. I believe it helped her so much, although this girl doesn't succumb to pressure easily--pressure actually helps her focus better. She made it to round 5 before getting out on the word "impune". She had spelled some really tricky words and I was so proud of her. The light just beamed from her face the rest of the day. I am so proud of her for doing hard things!

I also loved coming across this sweet video this week. I was sobbing by the end as I could see my sweet husband doing the same thing. He is a good man and provides and takes care of our family so well. It also made me think of our Heavenly Father and how He is watching over us everyday, protecting us, wanting to help us, and sending tender mercies our way that sometimes we don't see ourselves.

I appreciated this article too and have been thinking a lot about the phrases I use with my own children. How can I help them learn goodness through what I say? How can I best communicate what I'm asking them to do? How can my words express love and motivate them to do good? 

Some things to think about this weekend. Happy Weekend to you!!

No comments: