Friday, January 9, 2009

Note to self...

It is a new year...2009. Wow. I never looked too much beyond 2008 because 2008 was the year for our family. We knew we would be done with school, moving to Utah, buying our first home, having our second child and so on. But now the year is over and a new year begins. I have decided this is a very good thing for me...I get a fresh start...something I really need. The last seven months have been happy, but I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit how hard they have been as well. It is time to now move forward. So, a note to myself...

Some Things I Have Discovered:
  1. Moving away from family, friends and familiar places takes adjusting and requires an open mind and a positive attitude...one I have not always had.
  2. #1 is even harder when you have a baby two months after you move. Don't get me wrong...this was the biggest blessing and the happiest moment of 2008. But, naturally it delayed a lot of the adjusting-and-meeting-new-people-process.
  3. I am tired of having little to no color in my home and sad that I lost that flare for decorating I had just a few months ago.
  4. Since we've moved Maddy has become a little girl. She's grown so much and I love it. But part of me feels like I left my baby girl in Kansas. Sometimes I miss those simple days.
  5. Now that I have two kids I will not be able to do EVERYTHING I want in one day or even one week.
  6. But I will whole-heartedly learn to live with #5 because I love being a mother. I love these kids so much and there is nothing else I would rather be doing right now than taking care of them.
  7. You do make friends again. We do feel settled again. And if we move again, we will look back at this time in our lives with fondness just as we did after leaving our home in Kansas.

Therefore, a Few Resolutions:

  1. Forget myself and serve, serve, serve.
  2. It's okay if everything is not done at the end of the day...I will do my best.
  3. It is time to decorate...be creative...do what I love...and enjoy this beautiful home.
  4. Pray...and listen.
  5. Be in the moment, and embrace this time.
  6. Be grateful for everything I have! I really do love my life.

5 comments:

Starry said...

Erica,

I love the note to self and all the things that you have learned. I can really relate with feeling like 2008 brought so many changes and a whole new life. I feel like I have many similar resolutions and have learned many similar things. I wish you luck in this fresh new year being more settled. See you tomorrow!

Chanda Starr said...

What a wonderful post. You are an awesome, amazing fabulous person and I feel blessed to be able to call you my sister.

janell said...

Wow--you are so wise!! This brought tears to my eyes. I'm so proud of you!

Ariel said...

I loved spending time with u guys for a week. Can't wait till we see each other again :) Tell Maddy and Evan I say hi.

Anonymous said...

Once again--you show what a genius you are. Love ya!