Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Reminiscing

From 2008-10-21
The last few days have been warm here in Utah. Very windy, but warm. It made me think of the many memories that Spring evokes for me...

  • The smell right after a big thunderstorm
  • Lemonade sales
  • Riding bikes with the neighborhood friends
  • Sunday dinners on the patio
  • Acting out plays with my sisters in the backyard
  • Climbing as high as we could while picking and eating mulberries from the mulberry tree
  • The sight of those beautiful roses that would bloom in our backyard
  • BBQ's
  • My sisters
  • Swinging on the porch swing and watching the rain
  • Opening up all the windows in the house (and my dad telling us all to stop fighting or the neighbors would hear us!) :)
  • Piano lessons
  • Fresh-cut grass
  • Running
  • The winding roads from West St. to Fanestil Dr.
  • Temple trips
  • Babysitting (kids that are now grown!)
  • Falling in love
  • Picnics with Jonathan
  • Seminary bowls
  • Walking to my car after another grueling swim practice; but feeling those endorphins kick in
  • Prom
  • The excitement of applying for colleges
  • Finals
  • Walking up and down those hills at BYU...but oh, the view!
  • Making wedding preparations
  • Being newly married to my best friend
  • Graduating
  • Giving birth to our first child
  • The smell of strawberries
  • Going on family walks and throwing rocks in the pond with Maddy
  • Long talks with friends
  • Going to KU games with Jonathan (Rock-Chalk!)
  • Taking Maddy to the library/parks/tumbling classes

As I realized that most of these memories happened in Kansas, it all made me very homesick. So bring on the new memories from this Spring! I am ready.

5 comments:

Starry said...

Oh Erica,

I have a lot of fond Kansas spring/summer memories too, and I love them dearly. The warmth really does make you eager for every day to be that way. I hope we'll have a few summer memories together this year. We'll have to go for a nature walk or go swimming, find some outdoor things to do together this summer!

Chanda Starr said...

What a gift Heavenly Father has given us to be able to see or smell something and have those things bring back such wonderful memories. What a great gift you have that those special memories make you think of home. What an even greater gift to have "home" mean so much. The best gift of all is that someday it will be your daughter posting of all those special mountain view memories that you and Jonathan gave her and how much "home" means to her!

janell said...

Just think--it's your first spring that you don't have to worry about tornadoes!!
I'm so glad you have such good memories--made me cry...
Love you!

Kayla Neer said...

Aww, those are great memories, many of them the same that I have! Lol, I'd forgotten about the windows being open and dad threatening us about the neighbors!

Karolyn said...

I am so ready for SPRING! Not that we have had a winter worthy of complaining here in Kansas! Hey guess what? As I type we are having our first BIG thunder/lightning storm-you know with the lightning that lights up the sky as if it was noon! Ah I love watching these!

Love Maddy's boots picture on the side... ;)