Wednesday, April 15, 2009

the Cafe Rio connection

+ = OR
+ =
Have I ever told you about the night before Evan was born? Well...my mom and sister were in town just relaxing and waiting for our little Evan to make his appearance into the world. One Saturday night, hours before my dad and other sister were supposed to arrive, we decided to go out for dinner with some dear friends. Our restaurant of choice was none other than the famous Cafe Rio. Utahans definitely understand the culinary beauty of Cafe Rio. It is sinfully delicious...if you ever go my fav (or "fabor" as Maddy would say) is the pork barbacoa salad. It's a salad yes, but it is not for the health-conscious.


So that night I ordered The pork salad and enjoyed a great dinner and great conversation. We left very full and satisfied and as we headed for home I was again having more "false" labor. Ugh. As uncomfortable as it was, it had been going on for weeks so I really didn't think much of it. And plus, I knew no matter what I was going to be induced that Monday...hooray!


Later that night, we played a memorable game of "Apples to Apples." I have not laughed that hard since. I don't know why but we were all in stitches laughing about...everything and anything and nothing. "Soy sauce anyone??" (We love our dear friends...they are very entertaining.)


A few hours later the rest of my family arrived and we all went to bed. Because as many of you know, when my Dad is tired, the party's over. I finally got to sleep, but woke up around 2 'o clock in the morning feeling serious contractions and knew it was time to head to the hospital. I had back labor too so, needless to say, the bumpy half-hour drive was no fun. But, hours later our dear Evan was born.


Thank you Cafe Rio. Thank you dear friends/family for the laughs. And thank you Apples to Apples. :)


So now whenever we dine at Cafe Rio we tell Evan all about the eventful night before he was born. I think he knows it's an important place for him. He absolutely LOVES this place. Each time we go he gobbles up the food, starts laughing and flirting with the other little patrons, and dancing to Elvis hits. And after watching him, we all leave a little happier than when we came.


This happens everytime. And after last night's fun trip to our local Cafe Rio, I've come to the conclusion that he knows he and this place are pretty tight. :)

4 comments:

The Fantastic Four said...

Love the story!!

I am a fan of Cafe Rio also. It's one of the reasons we moved back!! =) Remember our potluck girls night when we made it?? YUMMMMMM.

Chanda Starr said...

Sounds like a must visit place when someday we make it out that way.

Mike said...

Ok. So essentially what you're saying is that, if Alena and I reach a point late in the pregnancy when the baby could come any time, Cafe Rio would do the trick.

That's pretty useful information. : )

janell said...

I officially declare Evan the most handsome baby ever!