Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple

Photobucket

There has been so much excitement and anticipation this past year about the Oquirrh Mountain temple opening in our area. Firesides, talks, activities...all have been focused on the dedication of this temple. It has been so fun to be a part of it all and to experience the blessings that come with having a temple so close. When I was 12, my first temple trip was an all-day event (or actually an all-night event). We arrived on a Greyhound bus at the Dallas Temple at 5 in the morning, did baptisms all morning, and headed straight back home after lunch. Experiences like that make me so grateful to just get in my car, drive a few blocks to a beautiful temple and participate in ordinances. In fact, it's so amazing to me, I usually tear up as I'm walking in. :)


On Sunday, Jonathan and I were able to attend the actual dedication for the temple. It is great to finally have the temple dedicated and operating now. During the dedication there was an amazing spirit of unity and commitment around us that I will never forget, and again, I was so grateful to be a part of it.

Photobucket

A few months ago, Madelyn was able to go to a special primary activity centered on temples and the building of our new temple. During the activity, a member of the stake presidency spoke to the children and told them that many of their parents had felt very impressed to move to this new area and that one of the biggest reasons for this was because of them. Because we wanted our children to be close to the House of the Lord and to have the protection and blessings that come from being near the temple. I know that was one big reason why we felt so strongly about moving here.

It was a really special day, and at the end the kids all let off balloons that held invitations to come to the temple.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Temples are centered around the family...We know that families are forever and we are so excited to have a symbolic reminder of that so close to us. I don't think you can ever fully explain the significance of temples until you actually experience going for yourself. But I do think that children have a way of explaining the spirit of it all better than anyone else. Madelyn had a chance to do just that a few months ago when she sang "I Love to See the Temple" at her Grandpa Starr's recital. Now as we drive by the temple each day we hear her quietly singing this song to herself. She knows it is a special place and I hope with all of my heart she is able to "go inside someday."


(Here is a video of Madelyn's singing. At the end she's telling
Jonathan to "play your violin Daddy! Play your violin!")

No comments: