Friday, April 30, 2010

He is loved.

Photobucket

Jonathan's family put together lists of 30-somethings all about Jonathan. It was so fun for him to read what everyone had written and the many memories and stories he had forgotten. Some were funny, and some sweet, and they were all definitive of "Jonathan". I hope they don't mind if I share a few.

From brothers and sisters:

  • His many wackyisms [i.e., Yo yo Ma!]
  • His example of what it means to "do your best - give it your best effort"
  • His appreciation of good food
  • Frikken Idiot!! (Not a)
  • How can I ever forget the first time we were willing to leave Ariel with a babysitter and it was you and Jeremy. (looking back I wonder if lack of sleep made me crazy?) We came home and the 2 of you had had to change her diaper. I still laugh when I think about how you both proudly explained that one of you had held her down while the other one tried to change the diaper. When I changed her later I discovered the diaper was on backwards!
  • Things Jonathan will do till he dies: Play sports at every opportunity. Root for KU. Be a Master of Flatulence. Watch ESPN every night. Throw balls in his living room at the ceiling. Love his kids with all of his heart. Sell Drugs. Constantly make jokes about selling drugs. Love Erica. Be generous.
  • Movies that remind me of Jonathan: Beauty of the Beast (or...booty of the Beast), The Emperor's New Groove, George of the Jungle (Watch out for that tree), School of Rock, Pursuit of Happyness (what the character Chris Gardner goes through definitely doesn't describe you, but he strives to get what he can to be a good father, and you have set up your life so that you can have a good family life.)
  • Smells: Freshly baked pie crust ready for some banana cream, KU victory, (and 7 creatively-defined methane varieties. Oh boys...)
  • Songs and foods that remind me of Jonathan: "Run Away" "Real Men of Genius," banana cream pie and Sunday dinner drinks--We never had the same drink twice, and it was fun to see what disgusting looking, but terrific tasting drinks you would come up with.
  • Your funny stories about the psychos you work with, when you say "Yeah buddy!", your drug dealing abilities, Super Mario brother skills. Even though I threw bullets at you when you were younger, you don't hold it against me. I enjoy that we share the same love for music, and I miss being in your ward choir. Bless you for introducing me to Cafe Rio. Our late night talks when I get home from hanging out with weirdos.

From his nieces and nephews:

  • He is the best Dad for Maddy and Evan.
  • He is loving.
  • He is a cool uncle.
  • He is the craziest KU fan.

From his mother-in-law:

  • L—Loving husband/father/brother/son/person
    M—Madelyn’s Daddy—top moments that we’ve shared are definitely the birth of both children
    N—New Year’s Eve 2001@ 12:26 a.m.—another top moment
    O—Obedient—the quality I believe defines Jonathan
    P—Pie Chef (Banana Cream!)/ Oh, and P90X!! (2)
    Q—Quality control in his work—he takes great pride in his work.

From his Dad and Mom:

  • When I went with the boys hiking Mount Olympus in Salt Lake to “make sure they were all right in making that hazardous climb”, I ended up being the person who was out of shape, not having the knowledge how to do it, and being in danger. I made it up the mountain fine with the boys and to the top, but on the trip down, my legs were weak, I was short on water, and I needed to rest more than they. Halfway down I couldn’t keep going at the pace they were going, and we were short on water. I told them to go ahead. I would rest as I needed it and join them at the bottom of the mountain trail. The rest of the boys went ahead, but Jonathan stood by me and said he would not leave me and would stay by me the rest of the way. He must have understood my weakened condition and showed extraordinary loyalty to me that caused me to marvel. It turned out that his wisdom was well founded because as I neared the end of the trail my strength in my knees totally gave out and the boys had to carry me the last 200 feet or so to the car. I afterwards was laid on my back on the floor at the Bruderers and had to be gradually nursed back to normal with water and total rest. I think I was suffering from heat exhaustion. Thank you, my loving Jonathan.
  • Starting around third grade, Jonathan proved himself as a baseball star in our minds. He joined a summer league and ended up being a very good pitcher. I remember going to the games and being awed by this 9 year old.
  • Jonathan was so loving to me, especially as a teenager when most young people pull away. He would always kiss me goodnight with a great hug. He would also ask me how I was which is so atypical for young men.

2 comments:

Starry said...

What a great idea to share some of them with everyone! What a warm, loving night it was. I'm so glad I was there to be a part of it.

janell said...

Wish we could have been there!We love you, Jonathan!