
Jonathan is one of the smartest people I know. Smart, smart, smart. He knows and understands things that go way over my head. He is also athletic, so he knows how to compete and to win. But I am also very competitive and also like to win.
When we were in high school we attended early-morning seminary together. And, it was very early in the morning. He was gracious enough to pick me up each day and drive me to the church. This gave me the motivation to get up early enough to shower, do my hair, and try and look decent before the sun even came up.
It was my very first year and his third and we were studying the New Testament that year. And I knew every scripture mastery there was and where exactly it was and could beat any other person in the class during one of our scripture chases. My only competition was Jonathan. He knew them too and he could flip through the scriptures just as fast. We would practice finding certain scriptures in the shortest amount of time in what we called a "scripture chase".
At the end of each school year we got together with other seminary students for what is called a Seminary Bowl. As part of the seminary bowl we would have competitions, one being THE scripture chase.
On the day of the bowl that year there were lots of students participating in this event.
We stood in two long lines going head to head against one another. Slowly, one by one, people were eliminated and then, it was down to...me and Jonathan. I couldn't believe it. I did not want to go against him. I became nervous because I knew we were equally matched, but I didn't want to lose. I wanted to beat him so badly.
We sat down, looked at each other--impressed we had made it this far, but not wanting to go home without the title. We waited for the scripture to be named. It was given and soon...I was close, I was one thin page away and that's when he called it. He stood up and declared his sweet victory. He then confessed he just happened to turn right to the page.
Luck. That's what did it that day.
But I must say it was a thrill to go against him.
And it's still tons of fun to compete against each other.
Even though he wins most of the time.
It must be that big brain of his.
No comments:
Post a Comment