
(My grandma as an infant)
I love this grandmother of mine. She is strong and so special to me. For years now, my grandma has requested that instead of gifts on her birthday we give her memories. I love going back each year, reading memories I've written in the past and remembering others to share with her on her special day. I found a memory I had written to my grandma a few years ago when Madelyn and I were discovering books I remembered reading as a child:
Madelyn and I go to the library almost every Wednesday just as another way for her to go “Bye, bye” and release some of her restless energy and also, of course, to pick out new books.
One of her favorite things to do is cuddle up and read a good book, for which I am very grateful. I know I will always cherish these times that we have together, and I hope they will be good memories for Maddy as well. One of my favorite memories as a child was when you read to me. There’s nothing better than cuddling up with your grandmother to read your favorite books.
The other day Madelyn and I started reading a new book, “Put Me in the Zoo” by Dr. Seuss, and the memories started flooding my mind. At first I couldn’t exactly place when or where I remembered reading this book, but I knew I must have been very young. Then, after a time, the picture became clear: I remember cuddling up with you on the old white couch downstairs in the living room and you pointing out all of the colors that this “animal” in the book could be. You read with such enthusiasm and flair that the story just came alive to me. It’s such a simple story, but I loved that book so much, and especially with all of your fun voices!
This made me think of all the other times we read together and how much I enjoyed every moment! Although I can’t always remember the name of the books we read, I remember the wonderful stories. There was one about squirrels living in a tree and one about “Mama’s precious baby” bear, and one I loved about cute and cuddly Grover. Mostly because you did his voice exactly right!
I’m sure as Madelyn gets older and finds more books to read, I will rediscover the many books that we read together. And I will always remember how I felt as you read to me—so excited, so safe, and especially, so loved.
I am who I am because of my Grandma J. I will be forever grateful that she was born this day to change so many lives for good...including mine. She is a gift and I love her so.
1 comment:
Wonderful post, Erica! No one can read aloud like Grandma J. Love the picture, too!
Post a Comment