Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

Photobucket
Today was Madelyn's first day of school at Eastlake Elementary! She was very excited all morning to take a bath, get dressed, do her hair, get her backpack ready, and head out for a new adventure.

Although, at one point this morning she turned to me and told me that she was scared about school and didn't want to be alone. I told her that was very understandable, and we talked
about how she would have friends there and how exciting it would be to
make new friends and get to know her teacher, Mrs. Evans.

And that best of all, after only a few hours she would be home with Mommy, Evan and Daddy again.
Photobucket
12:37 came fairly quickly and we rushed out the door to take pictures.
We had to get some with her new backpack and dress!
Photobucket
As Madelyn was getting in the car, Jonathan and I exchanged looks of disbelief and a bit of sadness that our little girl was this big and taking this step. The tears for me almost started then, but I think I had cried enough during the past month that I could control myself.Photobucket
The kids all met at the little playground on the west side of the school. Luckily, we found familiar faces right away that helped to calm her nerves. She never once stopped posing for pictures though.
Photobucket
The teacher blew the whistle and the kids lined up next to the door. Madelyn became a little unsure about leaving us, but soon followed the other kids in while blowing kisses and waving good-bye to us. No tears, (just a few from Mom and Dad). That is our Madelyn. Always excited to try something new, then a little scared, then very brave and strong to go forward.

I know she was glad she did, because she had a great day! She came home all smiles, telling me about her teacher, her friends, and the fun things they did.

I'm so glad her first day was a great experience.

2 comments:

janell said...

So glad to hear it went well!!! Yes, she is one very brave girl!

Starry said...

She looks so adorable and so grown up! I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it all after her first week, month, etc. I love the traditions you've started for the first day of school too, it makes it so exciting to go back then, not dreadful. You are so creative...