Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jonathan's Birthday

Jonathan turned 31 on April 28th
and Madelyn insisted he have a Basketball Party!!

Photobucket

So we decorated with the colors of his alma mater and of course, favorite basketball team.

Photobucket

We made banners,

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

penant name tags,

Photobucket

and a special birthday crown just for him.

Photobucket

We had burgers off the grill, sweet potato fries, green and fruit salads, and ROOT BEER.

Photobucket

Maddy made a special "Pin the Basketball to the Hand" game.

We had tons of fun being blindfolded and spun around.

I think the older guests had a harder time finding where to walk while dizzy.

And, Aaron just preferred using the "blindfold" as a taliban hat-thingy.

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Evan wanted his basketball for Daddy to say exactly what is printed above.

He loves his Daddy so much.

Photobucket

Jonathan opened some fun gifts: 3D movies, money, and a new basketball!
Photobucket

Photobucket

And he blew out his candles (a few times with the kids) off of a mint-chocolate ice cream cake.

Photobucket


During the day I kept thinking about a certain moment I'd had with Jonathan several years ago. We were both at mutual and had a joint activity that night with both the young men and young women combined. I liked him, but he didn't know this at the time. I remember he'd had a bad day at school and was down, and so at one point in the evening I said something, trying to make him smile, and it actually worked. He laughed and grinned his gorgeous smile. To this day I don't remember what it was I said to make him smile, but I do remember feeling so excited that I had made him happy. That something I had done had made him happy.

Photobucket

And so as I was preparing for his birthday, I just kept thinking how lucky I am to still be the one making him smile. I'm so thankful I am the one who gets to celebrate his birthdays with him, make him dinner, have our children make special birthday crowns and ultimately, make him happy.



I love you with all of my heart Jonathan!

Happy Birthday!!

1 comment:

Starry said...

What a beautiful memory to come to mind. I'm so glad you are still getting to make each other smile. Everything you did was amazing!