Monday, April 16, 2012

Kansas!

We started our annual trip to Kansas on a Friday afternoon. I had been working hard, or as hard as I could being pregnant and nauseous, to get most everything washed, packed and ready to go so we could start our trip after Jonathan got home from work Friday afternoon. Jonathan packed his things and we were off at around 5 that evening. We had made reservations in Cheyenne and after some very sleepy hours, we made it to our hotel around midnight. We quickly brushed teeth, got pajamas on and went to sleep! We were able to sleep in, eat breakfast and take our time getting out the next day. We left around 9:30, 10:30 Kansas time, and made it to Emporia around 8:30. I loved seeing the green hills and big blue sky as we entered our "home" state.


Photobucket

Poor Lukey developed a fear of changing tables while traveling and he had a major accident right before leaving Cheyenne. Here he sits with just a diaper and another day of riding in the car ahead of him. He did very well though considering how LONG it takes. Jonathan and I were able to get in a half session of General Conference on Saturday morning before we lost the signal. It was so cool to hear our prophet and apostles speak from a little phone in our car...I love technology.

Photobucket

The next morning the kids woke up and were ready to make the most of their day with their Grammy and Papa. They had been counting down the days for weeks until "we see Grammy and Papa." Evan had Papa playing Star Wars Monopoly while Maddy helped Grammy with conference brunch. It had been 4 years since the last time she helped Grammy make the traditional brunch.

Grandpa J.'s birthday was the day before and so she was busy making a nice card and sign for him too. She also practiced her April Fool's joke for him with Grammy. It went something like this..."Grandpa, guess what happened last night???? (Pause for effect). IT GOT DARK!!!!"


Photobucket

Watching Conference and explaining something to her Daddy, with her cute hands.


Photobucket

That evening we got to spend time the Starr cousins at Grandma and Grandpa Starr's. The kids just love seeing all of their cousins and always seem to pick up their close bond right where they left off before.

Photobucket

The next day Jonathan went to help his parents' and I took the kids over to my grandparents, known to them as Gigi and Great-Grandpa Neer.

They just ate up their time with Gigi, making themselves right at home. My Grandma spoiled them with new coloring books, crayons, white erase boards and balls. When they were done eating all of Gigi's snacks, we headed outside to play ball. It was fun to watch my grandma and Evan play ball. Evan is really good at throwing, but we found out he has a really good eye for hitting too.

Photobucket

Luke enjoying the Kansas grass, and probably getting his first chigger bites too.

Photobucket

A sweet sister and her brothers, enjoying a popsicle in the Kansas sun.


Photobucket

Later that day Madelyn took her cousin Leia with her to a yoga session at Leia's elementary school. Kayla helps another yoga instructor teach the class to elementary schools in the area a couple times a week. Maddy loved doing this with Kayla last year and was so excited to have her cousin with her this time. I keep meaning to enroll Maddy in a class here because she loves it so much. I would love to do it with her too.

On Tuesday we were off to Topeka to visit some friends. I so wish I had remembered to take pictures, but got caught up in the joy of talking and catching up with them. It was so fun to see everyone again and to take the kids to my the office building where I used to work. It has changed quite a bit since they have remodeled and added on so much. It will forever remind me of my first days of being back in Kansas, pregnancy, and that time of becoming a mother. There were lots of other things I learned there, but that was the state of my life at the time. They all loved seeing Madelyn again and Evan and Luke too.

Photobucket

We had planned to meet with some of our cousins at the park that afternoon, but as fate would have it, it didn't quite work out that way. When were getting out of the car Evan was trying to tell me something and had his left hand on the side of the car. Maddy went to close the door and without knowing it, slid the door over Evan's poor fingers. They were pretty swollen and his poor pinky was badly hurt. I'm sure if I was the only one around I would have been the strong mother I needed to be and do what needed to be done, but since Jonathan was there I allowed myself to get hysterical, crying and asking if he was alright. I tried to do it without Evan seeing, but I'm sure the look on my face made him even more scared. Bless his heart!!! We started driving to the hospital and calling my mom to see if she could watch Luke and Maddy while we went to the hospital with Evan, but she wasn't quite home yet. When we called to tell what happened, my wonderful sister-in-law Chanda and her kids gladly offered to play with the kids at the park while we went to the hospital. It was so nice to know they were well taken care of so we could just focus on Evan.

It was a bit eventful at the hospital and I wished many times we were with our family doctor here in Utah, but we made it through and Evan's finger seems to be healing well.

I just kept thinking how grateful I was that it was not a more serious accident and that he would be just fine. Love this boy of mine!!!

Photobucket

To pass the time we played with my phone, taking crazy pictures. Poor Daddy is not too enthused about spending the evening at the ER.


Photobucket

The next day was a little less dramatic. We headed to McPherson where Jonthan's sister and her family just moved into a new house. It was fun to see where they live and to visit with their sweet family. They even fed us dinner, which was delicious! I swear Maddy was on a growth spurt while we were in Kansas, and this night was no exception as she ate two whole chicken thighs with rice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On Thursday the kids went over to their cousin Faith's birthday party. They had a blast playing carnival games and eating carnival foods. We also spent time with Grandma and Grandpa Starr. Grandma had made us a yummy dinner and sweet Uncle Jeremy walked and explored everywhere with Luke while Jonathan and I ate. Luke is loving his new independence and became even better at walking while we were there.

On Friday the kids enjoyed an Easter egg hunt and egg dyeing at Gigi's (more on that later) in the morning. Later that day we went to a European Bakery in Hartford. The owner, from France, makes the best chocolate croissants ever!!! The kids ate it up too!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That evening I went on a nice walk with my mama and Luke, and when we got back I found Kayla and Maddy throwing rocks in the pond by Grammy and Papa's house. The kids love to throw rocks, and it was sweet to see them cuddled up together.


Photobucket

We also went to Grandma and Grandpa's for games that night. Cousin Courtland brought his old Spiderman costume for Evan to wear, and Evan was in HEAVEN!! I'm not sure we would ever get that thing off of him. He probably would wear it under his clothes if he could.


Photobucket

Sweet Luke playing the toy piano at Grammy's and falling asleep almost anywhere we went in the car. The kids also seemed pretty worn out and slept in until about 9:30 each morning. This is not normal for them!

Photobucket

On Saturday we were able to attend cousin Faith's baptism. It was so special to think back to her being born eight years ago and be with her on this important day of her life. She is precious and we are so grateful to have her as our niece and cousin. I also loved that our kids could watch her make that important promise with our Heavenly Father and understand more what it means to be a disciple of our Savior Jesus Christ. It also made me excited (and let's be honest, and little sad) for Madelyn to make this step two birthdays from now.

We did the big egg hunt at Grandma and Grandpa Starr's later that day too. The kids loved when Peter Cottontail, or the Easter Bunny, came to the door. We enjoyed Easter there as well...more later. :)

Photobucket

More games with Papa. Evan also beat Papa at a game of bowling too!

Photobucket

More cousin playdates. Madelyn and Leia sure get along well...

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's always so sad to say good-bye to cousins. The kids cried and cried Sunday night when we had to leave them. It was heartbreaking. I am crying right along with them. They are all so sweet and I know they will grow so much before we see them again.

Photobucket

On Monday we went to the Kansas City Temple open house (pictures to come) with my Dad's family. It was incredibly special to be with everyone and to see a temple so close to them.

We left early Tuesday morning to go back to Utah. We decided to do the entire drive in a day and it wasn't as bad as I thought, or dreaded, it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, there was a good 4-hour stretch where I wanted to sedate Evan and pull my hair out, but other than that it went well. Luke especially enjoyed walking all around every gas station we stopped at while trying on sunglasses. The drive and time is always worth the trip and spending time with our family!

Photobucket

3 comments:

janell said...

Thanks so much for posting this! It's so fun to re-experience it all through pics!

Chanda Starr said...

I am so glad you braved the trip back to Kansas (and knowing that means a driving back to Utah as well)We loved ever minute we got to spend together. I love watching the kids play together and seeing that love overcomes any distance!

Misha said...

they're so cute! wish we could've gone with you...i'm very homesick this spring.