Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Photobucket 
We learned this last month that no matter what age you are it is always so hard to say goodbye to dear friends! Our friends, the Dickmans, moved to Portland a few weeks ago for a new job opportunity and we were heartbroken.

When we moved here in June 2008 (4 years ago!) I had a barely 3-year-old and was very pregnant with my second baby. We had moved far away from most of our family and many good friends. It was hard, but I was determined to get to know people for my sake and for my little girl. With a ward that averaged over 600 members and very few neighbors around us, this was very hard to do. And once I had Evan, I was not exactly getting out and about all of the time. But then one Sunday, I met Kori. They were moving into a home a half a block down from us that September and she had two girls, one two days older than Maddy. It was perfect. We set up a playdate one day and we set out for a picnic at the park--me with my little girl and 6-week-old baby and her with her little ones. We found out early on that Maddy and Sicily were very similar, both being the oldest children and very strong-willed girls. They either loved each other tons or fought like sisters. In the years to come they enjoyed their first preschool together, first ballet class, first sunbeam class, etc. I look back at that day and know that meeting Kori was an answer to my prayers. I know at a time when both of us were needing a friend we found one in each other. She'll never know what that meant to me. In these last 4 years she has become one of my dearest friends, one of those people in your life that is so rare to find. She is a great example to me of what a daughter of God should be like and is always looking to help and serve those around her. She threw a bridal shower for my sister, supported me during many times or during crucial times when I needed someone to cry with. We have helped each other through a lot these past years and we honestly thought we would watch our kids grow up together and look back at our lives remembering and being thankful we made it through. I will miss not being able to call on a whim, go out and doing something together, to see our girls get baptized together, and other milestones. But we are grateful they will be back to visit often since they have family here. And who knows, maybe life will change again and they will be back to stay again someday.

Photobucket
(Maddy and Siciliy during their preschool outing, September 2009)
Photobucket
(Spending one last day together, May 2012)
Photobucket
(Saying goodbye...Rex, Siciliy, Madelyn, Sophie, and Evan)
Photobucket
(Kori, Steph, and me at a going away party for their family. Stephanie is another dear friend and we are hoping they will be here for a long time!!! Love these ladies!!!)

1 comment:

janell said...

This made me sob! I remember praying for a good friend for you during that time. Love to Kori!