The day Henry was born started out like any other. Each morning for the past few days I had woke up feeling like it was Christmas morning--like I would be getting this great gift, our baby, very soon!
But as the day went on with no contractions I accepted it wasn't time yet and to just get as much done around the house as I could that day. Jonathan called and mentioned in passing that he happened to talk to one of the nurses at Dr. England's office and asked about symptoms I was having. I was not worried at all and didn't think much of it until they called me back later and asked me to come into the office to check me. I had two napping boys so wasn't sure how I was going to do that, but then thought of my grandparents who were in town visiting. I called them and they dropped everything and came to stay with the boys. That meant so much to me, and it was so comforting to have my family near at that time.
Everything checked out fine, but the doctor told me I was dilated to a 4 and that he would probably see me real soon. Yeah, I've heard that one before, but I had never been at a 4 without being in the hospital laboring, so I was curious how long I had left.
Two hours later around 5 I started feeling the all-too-familiar pressure and strong contractions. I decided it was finally time to pack my hospital bag and feed the kids. Our sweet neighbors watched our kids that evening and Uncle Mike came to watch them during the night. We were so grateful for all they did!
But as the day went on with no contractions I accepted it wasn't time yet and to just get as much done around the house as I could that day. Jonathan called and mentioned in passing that he happened to talk to one of the nurses at Dr. England's office and asked about symptoms I was having. I was not worried at all and didn't think much of it until they called me back later and asked me to come into the office to check me. I had two napping boys so wasn't sure how I was going to do that, but then thought of my grandparents who were in town visiting. I called them and they dropped everything and came to stay with the boys. That meant so much to me, and it was so comforting to have my family near at that time.
Everything checked out fine, but the doctor told me I was dilated to a 4 and that he would probably see me real soon. Yeah, I've heard that one before, but I had never been at a 4 without being in the hospital laboring, so I was curious how long I had left.
Two hours later around 5 I started feeling the all-too-familiar pressure and strong contractions. I decided it was finally time to pack my hospital bag and feed the kids. Our sweet neighbors watched our kids that evening and Uncle Mike came to watch them during the night. We were so grateful for all they did!

My sister Misha met us at the hospital and they admitted me around 7. Things were progressing very quickly, until I started feeling severe back labor. My nurse suspected that the baby was posterior and had me lay on one side and switch every so often to get him to flip. For the record, she is the best nurse I've ever had. Very kind and experienced and really took good care of us that night.

I got the epidural and was feeling good and able to relax a little. The anesthesiologist did say that he felt a little pressure when he put the needle in and said there was a possibility it might stop working.
At 1 am things were still slow-going and I was still dilated to a 7. I started to worry and pray that he would just come on his own soon. At that moment I felt a lot of sharp pain. With each contraction I felt more and more and realized my epidural had worn off. I remember looking at Jonathan, telling him the baby was coming and to get the nurse. He didn't believe that he had moved down that quickly, but sure enough our nurse Wendy came in and saw his head. The doctor was nowhere around and so with one push she delivered Henry at 1:37 am., Tuesday, August 28th.

They put this sweet baby right on me and I have never felt so much relief, so much elation and so much love all at once! It was truly an incredible feeling. Even though I would always opt for the epidural it was really neat to feel my body do exactly what it was made to do.

And he did it! He weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. and was 20 inches long.







We decided on naming him Henry James -- Henry is after my great-grandpa Jackson (my grandma Neer's dad) and James is after Jonathan's dad.


I couldn't have done it without my dear Jonathan and Misha. They really helped me feel confident during those last, intense minutes.


So happy to have him here!


Later that morning the boys came to see their new little brother with my grandparents.


They were full of kisses and hugs for little Henry


It was SO special to have my grandparents here when he was born. They helped so much with the older kids too. It was so nice and comforting to have my family around during his birth.

And they have loved, as they put it, getting to know a new generation.

His first sponge bath




Madelyn and Misha came after Madelyn got out of school that day.
Misha was such a great help staying with the kids the next night and day.


Quality time with Daddy

Our Henry James
So fun to see the blanket I made actually around him!


Right before going home.
In his going home outfit...

Some of Henry's loot.
We have been so touched by the gifts, meals and love from friends and family. Thank you!

We love this little guy and cannot imagine life without him now! So happy he is here!!!

3 comments:
Congrats! I'm so glad you had so many people to help out.
We are so happy for all of you. Wish we were there to help and love on your family but are glad there are so many people there to give you the help you need. Little Henry is beautiful and perfect. Enjoy every minute!
I'm so glad to hear the whole story. It is wonderful to hear you got the support you needed, even though we did not get to help as much as I wanted. I can't wait to get to know little Henry. Once we're all well--we'll come visit!
Post a Comment