Saturday, June 29, 2013

Madelyn's Baptism Day

 photo IMG_5842.jpg  photo IMG_5847.jpg  photo IMG_5850.jpg  photo IMG_5853.jpg  photo IMG_5843.jpg  photo IMG_5844.jpg

 

 photo IMG_5855.jpg  photo IMG_5857.jpg  photo IMG_5858.jpg  photo IMG_5859.jpg  photo IMG_5861.jpg  photo IMG_5864.jpg  photo IMG_5865.jpg  photo IMG_5866.jpg  photo IMG_5833.jpg  photo IMG_5827.jpg  photo IMG_5900.jpg  photo IMG_20130608_073745.jpg  photo IMG_5883.jpg  photo IMG_5878.jpg  photo IMG_5882.jpg  photo IMG_5888.jpg  photo IMG_5891.jpg  photo IMG_5885.jpg  photo IMG_5887.jpg  photo IMG_5880.jpg  photo IMG_5869.jpg  photo IMG_5868.jpg  photo IMG_5871.jpg  photo IMG_5897.jpg  photo IMG_5906.jpg  photo IMG_5904.jpg  photo IMG_5895.jpg  photo IMG_5893.jpg  photo IMG_5915.jpg  photo IMG_5917.jpg

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 our Madelyn Mae was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! We had been preparing, discussing, and waiting for this day for weeks and Madelyn was so very ready when the day arrived. We talked a lot about how this day would be one of the greatest days of her life and a day she would always remember. We talked about how other special days would follow in her life because of the steps she was taking and decisions she was making to be baptized on this day. We talked about how, like we learned when we first enter primary that, we need to shine for Jesus each day. And that kind of became the theme for her day, to "Shine for Him Each Day".

Days before her baptism, she received lots of special notes from her family members near and far expressing their love for her and their own testimonies of the gospel and of our Heavenly Father's plan for us. Madelyn was surrounded by family on her baptism day, but it was so sweet to feel that even those family members who weren't with us were there in spirit. 

I remember waking up on Madelyn's blessing day and walking into her room and watching her tiny body sleep. I could feel it was such a special day and could feel the love her Heavenly Father has for her. That same feeling came to me as I walked around the house on the morning of her baptism day. This was a special day for my sweet girl and I was so proud of the decision that she made this day. 

We arrived at the church and Madelyn took her seat by her Daddy. I felt so much love for both of them and couldn't believe how much and how quickly she had grown since 8 years before when her Daddy was holding her in his arms and giving her a name and a blessing. I am so thankful for the man that Jonathan is and how he honors the priesthood so that he can fully participate in the blessings of eternity for our family.

Our family was in charge of the music during the program that morning and Madelyn's Grandpa Starr arranged a beautiful version of "Baptism" and "I Love to See the Temple". Madelyn asked that I come stand with her while she sang and her uncles, Grandpa, Grandma, and Dad played their violins. She was so brave. She sang the next day in Sacrament Meeting as well, this time all by herself. I don't think I could have done that at her age, but she sang with all her heart and bearing her own testimony. It was very sweet and touched many people.

We then left for the baptismal font where Madelyn was baptized by her Dad. It was amazing to watch and so special to see her glowing afterward. I cherish those first few moments I had with her immediately following her baptism. After putting her dress on, I put the flower in her hair that she had worn around her wrist on her blessing day. 

The next moment she was surrounded by these wonderful men that love her and were able to, with Jonathan, bless her with the gift of the Holy Ghost. What a powerful blessing. Jonathan said he could feel so clearly the power of Heaven, the love of Heavenly Father, the united love from the men around him, and this pure, special spirit as he laid his hands on her head to give her the blessing. I could tell from her bright and grateful countenance afterward that she was very touched and felt this great love as well. 

This day made me feel such a renewed sense of gratitude for the gospel and for my Savior. I love Him and am so thankful for the covenants we can make with Him. I am so thankful for His atoning sacrifice, not only for me but for my dear family--and on this day especially, for my dear Madelyn. She is so pure in heart and has such a strong desire to do what is right and to honor His name. I felt the Spirit so strongly on this day reminding me that THIS is what it's all about. This girl and me, we are in this together. Life is full of hard times--times to learn and times to lean ever so close to our Savior and the Atonement. We were given each other to help one another get through and to make the necessary steps back to our heavenly home. I am able to teach her and she teaches me. These special dates where we make these covenants and promises to our Heavenly Father and His Son really will, safely, lead us back to them someday. This will be my greatest joy...to be forever with my family. 

2 comments:

Starry said...

Some fantastic pictures! It was a very special day, and you made everything look exquisite as usual.

janell said...

Such a special day! Such a special girl!!