A couple weeks ago, Madelyn and I went to the new "Cinderella" movie with two of her sweet friends. It was such a cute movie, but what I loved most was the beautiful and wise message it gave--to always have courage and to be kind. The girls and I talked about this very thing on the way home from the movie. We talked about the similarities and differences between the step-mother and Cinderella. They both experienced much heartache in their lives with deaths of family members and things not going exactly as they had planned. But the difference was in how they chose to react toward these experiences--the step-mother turning bitter and hateful, while Cinderella choosing to be grateful and kind. And how in the end, she was the much happier person because of her choice to forgive and love.
I've heard someone say once that one of the greatest things we can do in this life is to drink from the bitter cup and not become bitter from it. We all have things that happen to us that are not a part of our ideal "plan" or that bring us sorrow, regret, hurt, frustration or despair. It is so easy to give in to human nature and blame someone or something, to become resentful and bitter, or to give up. It seems that is where courage must come. The courage to get up and keep going, to love, to accept, to forgive, to be content, to be humble and grateful, and to be kind.
And really, we cannot do it alone. We need help. I know that as I've taken that first step to choose the good that my Savior then helps me with the rest. As I ask for His help, my burden becomes lighter, my bitterness becomes less, my despair turns to hope, and my hurt and sorrow become peace and love...and each courageous step is a little easier to take.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment