I cannot look at the American flag without a sense of pride and reverence. I cannot look at the American flag without a sense of gratitude for the many men and women who sacrificed so much to fight for their belief that all men are created equal and that we are all endowed with God-given, inalienable rights. I cannot look at the American flag without admiration for the many, many men and women who work hard each day, strengthen home and families, innovate and create, love and lift, and who serve and love God and their country more than self. After all, this is His land and we are so blessed to live in it!
Every year around this time I watch one of my favorite documentaries, America: The Story of Us. I especially love the first few episodes and try to imagine the courage it must have taken for these pilgrims and pioneers to leave all that they knew in search of a better life and way of living. They wanted to be free from strict government, they wanted to make their own way, and they wanted to freely worship in the manner they chose. I know it is no small miracle that we were able to win the Revolutionary War and become a free people and nation. Those faithful men and women's prayers were answered, and their righteous goals and dreams became a reality with God by their side.
This video drove this idea home for me even more, and I will never think of the sacred words by Francis Scott Key below in the same way again. I love my country! I love our beautiful flag and all that it stands for! I am so proud to be an American!
Happy 4th of July to you and yours!!!
Oh! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the LAND of the FREE and the HOME of the BRAVE!

No comments:
Post a Comment