Sunday, May 8, 2016

The best smartphone


Early this morning my Jonathan left for Trek with members of our church. Trek is an opportunity for the youth and a few leaders to experience a bit of what it was like for the pioneers who came out West over 150 years ago. 

He will be gone for three and a half days, which isn't a super long time, and not something we haven't done before. But I've been thinking a lot today about how much I rely on technology and all forms of communication. When he is out of town it's not like we call each other, or even text, constantly but I know I can always reach him if I need to. Since he is out in the middle of nowhere this week without reception, there is no such luxury. 

Communicating with my husband with my phone is a great thing and a blessing but that aside, I began to wonder, how did the pioneers do it without all of the conveniences we have today? Of course they couldn't miss something they'd never had. But I also believe they were just more in the habit of relying on God with all of their hearts, and communicating with Him first and foremost. Instead of Google, they sought Him for answers and did not replace social connectedness and worldly views for that of their spiritual connectedness. They didn't have the many distractions that come from modern-day technology and because of that they witnessed miracles daily and had the faith to pour out their souls to Him--to trust in His power to guide them, comfort and calm their fears, to protect them. 

So even though my husband's the one on Trek this week, I think it will be a good (albeit small and simple) lesson for me to rely more on the Lord in my everyday and trust in Him more completely. He is the best smartphone of all. 

No comments: