Painting by Greg Olsen
Yesterday, a family we know had an emergency that sent them to the hospital. Within the very hour of this happening, I witnessed our friends and neighbors coming together to volunteer of their time and of their resources and of their love to this family. I've had the privilege of organizing a relief effort, in a sense, and to work with the women in our neighborhood to aid and lift this family.
I have been absolutely in awe of the generous hearts of these dear women and am so honored to know them and to see how quickly they came together and without question to do whatever they could to help. It has made me step back and ask, How is it done? Why are so many willing to help?
The words to this hymn came into my mind:
The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.
So as my phone continues to buzz and my inbox fills up with women ready to cheer and to bless, I will remember they are doing that which is innate to them and fulfilling the divine nature that is within them. These women know who they are and they know the One who would want them to be His Heavenly Hands.

No comments:
Post a Comment