Sunday, May 8, 2016

Thee Lift Me and I'll Lift Thee

I've been thinking a lot about the different talks I heard at General Conference over a week ago. They were inspiring and uplifting, and I would like to write about a few of my favorites for the next few weeks. First off, this one by Linda K. Burton.

A few weeks ago Jonathan went out of town for about a week for a work-related conference. It was a good experience for him and things went well here at home, but never did I appreciate him more than when he rejoined our family! It wasn't that my days were much different than when he is at work, but in the evenings and on the weekend especially, we missed him so much! He not being with us left a very obvious void in our family. I truly believe what Sister Burton said when she quoted that "the nature of male and female spirits is such that they complete each other". 

It's amazing what those few days away did for us. When Jonathan came home it was as if we both saw our roles in a new and beautiful light. I appreciate and love him so much for all that he does for our family and I feel that love from him and know that he sincerely appreciates me for who I am and what I contribute to our family. We realized how truly complete we are when we're TOGETHER and UNITED in spirit and purpose. As we felt this new appreciation it was so much easier to lift one another, to praise one other, to express gratitude for each other, to full-heartedly forgive, and to be positive. This isn't to say there aren't hard days, that there aren't times when we're feeling less than loving and kind. But I've found that with the help of the Lord, as I try and lift him he then in turn lifts me, and vice versa. 

I am so thankful for the men in my life, as well as my growing sons! I hope they will always know that their role to provide and protect and lead their families is not something to be ashamed of--or, on the opposite end, does not make a woman's role less important--but that it is their God-given responsibility, and it enhances the roles of women. I hope that in this light they can one day lead and love their own families together with a loving and righteous eternal companion. This old proverb describes it perfectly:
"Thee lift me and I'll lift thee, and we'll ascend together."
This is what it's all about, folks. I have never felt closer to Heaven than when I am with my family fulfilling my role as a wife and mother and helping Jonathan to fulfill his role as a husband and father. Other jobs, callings, pursuits will all go away, but these roles are eternal. The family is eternal, and there is nothing I want more than to all ascend together.

No comments: