On Friday a very good man and Apostle of God passed away after a sudden diagnosis of thyroid cancer. After learning of his death, my heart broke and an emptiness settled inside of me. The world has lost one positive, strong, and faithful man of God. But what a sweet reunion I'm sure was had in Heaven with his dear wife and daughter.
Elder Perry always had a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. His testimony and relationship with the Savior emanated from the inside out and many have been blessed from his influence and the example of his life.
This morning as I listened to the last address he gave at General Conference, I felt the Spirit so strong bear a powerful witness that the things he talked about were true and of great importance. I wish I could've listened all day. He tenderly spoke about the sanctity of marriage and the family--of the growth that comes through commitment, hard work, and sacrifice beyond our own selves, and the eternal consequences and blessings that come from the earthly lessons and covenants we learn and make together, as families.
He ended with a simple, yet profound pronouncement:
"Let me close by bearing witness (and my nine decades on this earth fully qualify me to say this) that the older I get, the more I realize that family is the center of life and is the key to eternal happiness....
...Of this eternal truth I bear my strongest and most sacred witness in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
The entire address can be read here. It is so well-worth reading once, twice...many times.
No comments:
Post a Comment