Sunday, May 8, 2016
You choose
Evan, who is 6 (and a half!), has recently started taking violin lessons. He has a fabulous teacher and lessons are held at her home, which is about half an hour away from our home. On the Saturdays Jonathan is working, I take Evan + his siblings to his lessons and for the last few weeks as we travel to and from, Madelyn has asked Evan to help her practice her spelling words to prepare for her class spelling bee. Through the noise, I can hear things like, "Way to go! That was a really hard word" or "You are really getting good at this" or "Thanks, Evan, you're really helping me learn". As their mother, this of course warms my heart and makes me so happy.
And today, I'm excited to announce that Madelyn was one of the top 3 spellers in her class bee and will be moving on to the school spelling bee this week.
I am always telling my children that they have the ability and opportunity to CHOOSE. To choose to be kind, to choose to do right, to choose to learn. This agency is a gift from our Heavenly Father and His hope is that we choose the good so that we can be happy. Madelyn and I have been talking a lot lately about how she can choose to use her time wisely and that as she does, positive things will happen. Even though it won't always be easy, she will be able to learn and grow and ultimately, succeed. She chose to spend that time in the car practicing her spelling words and I was glad she could see a direct, positive result from doing so. What she might not be able to see quite as clearly, at least for right now, is the relationship that was strengthened with her brother who chose to happily help her along her way.
Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss!
And Happy March!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment