Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Peace

The other day I was asked to think about my favorite scripture. This is hard because I have lots of favorite scriptures--ones that have helped me through different periods of my life and become meaningful and sacred to me in their own ways. 

But if I had to pick just one it would be John chapter 14 verse 27 in the New Testament. 

I still remember vividly reading it for the first time. I can imagine my 13 or 14-year-old self sitting on my white daybed in my old bedroom in my house in Kansas, reading The New Era. I turned a page and found a Mormon Ad. On the ad the Savior was staring back at me and the words of this scripture sunk deep into my heart:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 

I remember the warm Spirit washing over me and feeling such a calm. It felt as if the Savior Himself were encircling me about in the arms of His love. 

And in a way He was. That is what this scripture is all about. When He cannot be with us face-to-face, His spirit and peace can always be with us...to comfort us, to calm us. 

At that time in my life my heart always seemed troubled, my mind always afraid. This scripture was an answered prayer for my young teenage soul. It helped me so much that day and in the years to come. I came to know Him and the love and peace only He could give me. 

No comments: