Tuesday, November 14, 2017

My pals.



Today on the way to the park Henry said, “Mommy, how old are you?” I told him 35, and then he told me that’s just too old to count. He then proceeded to point out to me the yellow house that he and his buddy Jude are going live in when they’re older, when the “destruction” builders are done building it. 



We made it to the park and I took millions of pictures of these two playing and discovering in the sand and sunshine. 



Jane loved going down the slide and would gear up each time saying, “Ready, set...GO!” until she was just giggling like crazy. 



The swings though are her absolute favorite. She saves the BEST giggles and smiles for the swings. Henry came over to join us too after finding all of the “treasures” for each of the teenage ninja turtles. 



Then I heard the bell ring at the school across the street. It made me wonder what Luke and Evan were up to and how it doesn’t feel like that long ago that they were with me, my pals, at the park. Or reading stories before nap time snuggly in their beds, or eating lunch and have lively conversations about Spider-Man or Santa or a million questions about our world: the one in which we live and the one we call our family. 

I thought of those sweet days with Madelyn too and how she was now across town at the big middle school. The distance seems to be growing between me and my older kids. I cherish those days and memories as well as the time and connections we still have together. It’s still sweet and special, just different. But always and forever my pals. 

And because I know what lay ahead, I soak in the sand and sunshine and questions and conversations with these two pals hooked by my side each day. It’s the best. 

No comments: