So today as I was on the treadmill, finding it so
darn hard to finish my 2 miles, I was thinking...
...about when I ran my first race. My dad's work hosted an annual fun run and this time it was in Iola, Kansas. I was 7. I don't even think it was a planned thing. We went with some friends and all of a sudden I was doing a mile or so "fun run." It was fun! I had run with my mom a couple of times before that and loved the exhilarating feeling and of course, the one-on-one time with Mom.
So this continued each year as a family event...
...My sister started running with us a few years later, my Grandma and my aunt would participate as well. I loved the nervous feeling before the race and during-just trying to keep going, keep my pace, and focus on the goal of finishing. And the best was actually crossing the finish line, knowing I had done it, had run the whole time, getting hugs from family, and that yummy Gatorade. It never tasted so good.
And so as I was huffing and puffing on my treadmill today, my thoughts went back to this time, and I couldn't help but compare it to life...
...It is hard sometimes. It is exhilarating sometimes. There are bursts of energy and and then there are quiet, contemplative moments. But we keep going, focusing on our goal at the end. I hope in the end I can say I "ran" the whole time, I endured well. Even when it seems so darn hard. Because I'm sure when I look back I will see how truly brief the hard parts were. And each time I pass a hard time, it gets easier the next time. I can endure better, I can sacrifice more, I can help more people around me, I become stronger...
...Hmm, maybe I should start training for a race, a half-marathon...
...yeah, maybe in 10, 20 years. First I should probably focus on not huffing and puffing when only running for 20 minutes! :)
Friday, March 27, 2009
Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Last year when I was struggling with being so sick I started walking on the treadmill and slowly it turned into running and I now try and run 3 miles each day. More like run 2 and walk 1 but I have fallen in love with the same emotions you expressed. I keep thinking maybe one for these days I could run with a purpose. So maybe one day we can find a cause and cross the finish line together even if I cross one here in KS and you one in UT!! .....That would mean running in public and the treadmill hidden in the basement is so much safer!!
I'm also opting for the treadmill in the basement these days. Maybe there's an analogy there as well--accomplishing goals in secret...
I'm so proud of all you're accomplishing, Erica!! You too, Chanda!
Wow! You all inspire me to run. I have a hard time doing it, so I really admire those who can!
Post a Comment