Monday, November 15, 2010

Being thankful

My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven.
~President Thomas S. Monson
Photobucket
I love that quote by President Monson and his whole talk he gave this past month at general conference. It was a great reminder for me because sometimes I feel that I get too caught up with the "to-do's" or the day-to-day trials of life that I forget to look at the big picture. I forget to look at where I am in my life and remember it is because of my Heavenly Father and my Savior that I have all of the blessings that I enjoy. And even when I am having a difficult time I know that I can rely on my Savior and put my burdens on Him because He has suffered them all. He does lift them and therefore, lifts me. What an incredible blessing.

I am so glad our family theme this year is to Be Grateful. It has brought a great spirit into our home. To welcome the month of November, Madelyn and I made a Gratitude Garland a couple of weeks ago. (Didn't she do an awesome job at cutting out those fall shapes??) Each day we decide something that we are thankful for on that day and write it down. We have certainly been more mindful of our daily blessings by doing this.
Photobucket
A few of my favorites this past week:
Bad-guy Bandaids -Evan
Spending the day with Mommy -Maddy
Coming home to family -Misha
A good job -Daddy
Baby brother and flowers -Evan

2 comments:

janell said...

I love this! Funny, I had just listened to Pres. Monson's talk yesterday morning, then read it last night in the Ensign. The quote you picked was the one that jumped out at me too. I wanna touch heaven!

Starry said...

I've been trying to live up to that talk as well. I love the ideas you have to remind yourself what you're grateful for--thanks for sharing it!