Monday, February 7, 2011

the good things

Photobucket
Some days I really wonder if I'm being proactive enough in teaching my children good things. Do they know why I don't want them to fight and hit each other? Do I give them power to make good choices and guide them toward these, rather than doing everything for them? Do I spend enough time educating them academically and spiritually? Do they know I have a testimony? Do I show with my actions that I love them and think they are the greatest blessings in my life? And yesterday during sacrament meeting, I found myself asking a few other questions after this scenario:

Out of nowhere my 5 1/2-year-old is talking very loudly about exactly why she
dislikes it when Evan tries to color with her and this explanation goes on for
about 2 full minutes. Very loudly.

And then Evan decides he needs to find one of his cars. Right. Now. "Her name isn't Flo!" He yells. "Her name is GAS! Where is GAS???" and "I neeeed my booger! Don't take away my booger!!"


It looks like we will be having another family home evening about the importance of the Sacrament tonight. I found some helpful ideas at LDS Living that might just help us out. One of them involves writing down rewards/fun activities to do and putting them in a jar. If they are reverent and respectful at church they get to pick one from the jar when we get home. Maybe it's a bit like bribery, but maybe it is just what we need right now.

2 comments:

Angela Kahle said...

I've used ideas from www.sugardoodle.net for Family Home Evening. Also, the Nursery Manual from the church is great for Family Home Evenings too. You can find it on lds.org, under Primary. Isn't it amazing how much time we spend in the hallway explaining to our children why they need to be quite in the chapel. It has helped me appreciate the talks more when I get to hear them:)Hope your lesson goes well!

Anonymous said...

LOL-They sound like normal kids to me :)Don't worry they'll learn something just from you taking them to church, kids pay attention to more than we think they do.