I had one pie to make...my chocolate hazelnut. I spent the whole day Wednesday making it on and off in between taking kids everywhere, feeding kids, naps, etc. At 4:00 I took it out of the oven and set it on the stove. It was perfect. I came back up 30 minutes later to put it in the fridge for the big day and it was still hot. I couldn't understand why. Then I looked at the burner and I had left it on low from melting the chocolate! The entire middle of the crust of the pie was black on the bottom. My heart sank. I just couldn't believe I had worked so hard and then it was inedible from my silly mistake. It was then that my bah-humbug for everything Thanksgiving started. I just could not get into it all. For a holiday centered around gratitude I was feeling very ungrateful.
It is amazing what a good night's sleep, a mother, a good husband, and some perspective will do for you. I woke up on Thanksgiving still in my bah-humbug mood, but I was determined to get out of it. I prayed and counted my blessings. The kids were so excited to watch the Macy's day parade and to get ready to go to their cousins' house. I was so grateful for their positive, happy attitudes. I was grateful for our cozy home where our family can all snuggle together. I was grateful for nice warm clothes, good food, hot water, talents, love, life, family, friends, the gospel, my Savior, and the list went on in my head.
By the time Jonathan returned from his football game I was determined to make my pie again. I did and it worked. By 2:00 we were off to Farmington for Thanksgiving dinner.
It was so nice to be with Gentry's family and Julean's family. It reminded me of all of the Thanksgiving and Sunday dinners we had had in the past and of certain memories together. When I was little I had a passion for everything jell-o. I loved everything red jell-o! I would usually pretend to be sick during dinner and then miraculously feel better by the time the jell-o was being served. Or I would chew up some of my food and then hide it in my napkin. I would then excuse myself to the bathroom and throw the napkin in the trash. Well, one time I got caught. I excused myself to the bathroom and Julean and Gentry came running down the hall and found my napkin in the trash. Busted. No jell-o that day. And no more of that little trick. Then there were the prayers before dinner. It was a running dare to get me to just say "Bless the meat and let's eat!" I never did it, I was too much of a good girl. :)

Lukey loved exploring!

Lincoln is in love with Henry. Whenever he sees him he begs his mom and dad for another baby to which they say no. So as soon as we got there he and his dad took Henry and he started playing with him. It was so sweet.

The kids table. Notice poor little Evan. I had this premonition days before that one of our kids was going to be sick on Thanksgiving. As Evan started getting sad and falling asleep on the chair during dinner, I started getting nervous. Then as Jonathan and I were taking turns holding Henry, Jonathan summons me in the living room. Evan had just gone to the bathroom, lifted up the lid and thrown up in the toilet. Poor guy. I was so sad for him, but so proud of him too for making it to the toilet. That would have been 10x worse to clean it up somewhere else during dinner. We were able to keep it a secret until everyone was done eating. Everyone was so good and sweet about it, but we served the pies and decided to leave. It was sad we couldn't stay longer. Maddy was so sad to leave her cousins so soon.


Gentry took this picture of Evan on the stairs. He was like this the rest of the time and fell fast asleep. Poor thing. Luckily, he only got sick that one time and was doing better soon.
But, needless to say, Jonathan and I didn't eat much of our Thanksgiving dinner this year. I guess you know you are a parent when you only have mashed potatoes and some turkey. Megan sent us home with a bunch of leftovers, and after all of the kids went to bed, Jonathan and I enjoyed round 2 of dinner. Very delicious. And I had some chocolate pie. :)

So yes, it was a memorable Thanksgiving. But at the end of the day, I was so very thankful for the sweet blessings in my life...especially for this guy of mine. There is nothing better to me than having a family with my dear Jonathan.
1 comment:
For the record, I didn't bust you on the jello in the trash can...that MUST have been Gentry. Ah, Sunday dinner memories. "Bless the meat, let's eat."
Glad Evan recovered quickly. Wish we could have visited longer. I have a love / hate relationship with the holidays this year...TOO HECTIC already.
Post a Comment