My Dear Children,
My heart is so full today and I just need to express to you in some way what a blessing each of you are in my life! I think I get bogged down in the getting-things-done sometimes that I forget to take you aside, cuddle with you, and tell you: You are my purpose in life, You are so loved, and You have such great potential.
This morning was one of those mornings. I was concerned about helping you, Evan, to get your homework done. I was concerned with you, Luke, about picking up your toys and not making any more "obstacle courses" with the couch cushions. I was concerned with you, Madelyn, about getting upstairs and eating breakfast quickly, and quickly getting out the door. I was concerned with you, Henry, about not running around naked after your bath and splashing water all over the floor. These things happen, and really these are things I, as your mother, have to be concerned about.
But I forgot.
I forgot to tell you, Evan, that you are one of the smartest, kindest, wittiest 5-year-olds I know. I forgot to tell you how proud I am of you for sticking with your homework and doing 5 pages of math and reading your book twice! I forgot to tell you that you make me so happy when you walk into a room and I can't wait to have whatever conversation we are about to have--because I know it will be a good one. I forgot to tell you that my heart is so happy whenever you pray for us to each feel the Spirit that day.
I forgot to tell you, Luke, that I love it when you laugh and run and imagine! I forgot to tell you that your smile is such a beautiful thing to behold. I forgot to tell you that your tender nature and the love and forgiveness you show toward me make me want to be a better person. I forgot to tell you that your enthusiasm and upbeat movement makes our home happy and whole. After you fall asleep for a nap and the house goes quiet, it is your squeals and giggles that echo in my ears.
I forgot to tell you, Madelyn, that I am so proud of you for getting up on your own each morning and for remembering all that you need to take with you to school. I forgot to tell you that your happy, kind attitude inspires me. I forgot to tell you that the way you care for your brothers is endearing and makes you an angel in their eyes. I forgot to tell you what a precious daughter of God you are and that you are never alone. Your light is contagious and you cannot hide it!
I forgot to tell you, Henry, that even though your wet footprints across my floor make me frustrated in the moment, I cannot stop smiling at how happy those little footprints make me as I'm cleaning them up. And your sweet cheeks. And that cute belly. And your wide smile, full of teeth. And your baby-scented hair. And that look you give me when you scrunch up your nose. You are a mover and so determined each day to be one of the big kids, but I sure love it when you hold up your arms to let me carry you and the big kisses you give me. Footprints and toddler messes will be gone all too soon but I hope I embrace the magic that comes with them.
I wish for your sakes that I was more perfect. That I could hide my weaknesses and not let the concern
concern you.
So even when I forget, please remember that I love what I do each day for you and wouldn't have it any other way. Please remember that you are worth my time, and are the reason I have been given time in the first place, no matter how my frustration comes across. Please know that you give my life purpose, light, and love. Even during times that I forget to tell you and it might not seem the truth, always remember being your Mother is one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given and makes me feel like a Queen. And may you always know how precious you are to me, to your Dad, and to your Heavenly Father who has entrusted you with us. I love you more than you know.
xoxo,
Mommy



1 comment:
So beautiful!!
Post a Comment