Monday, June 27, 2016

I Quit

The other day when I was laying down with Jane, I noticed her cute tiny feet. And her chubby legs and squishy tummy. And I really soaked it all in. I know those cute toes and feet will soon grow and be walking and that these small moments are fast and fleeting. It is nice to have more reflective moments like this. 

I think I have more of these moments lately because I've quit Facebook. I still have a FB and still check in occasionally on notifications etc, but it's certainly not every day or even every week anymore. 

It's not that I don't like checking in on friends and family, but I would feel like I had to check in all of the time or I would miss something! And before you know it, it had been an hour and my laundry still wasn't done. 

I also noticed it was making me very anxious. I would look at all of these articles and images and I felt like a bad mom if I don't do this or take them here or sign up for this activity. The truth is we're all different and wonderful in our own way. Comparison really is the thief of joy. Embracing who you are as a mom and focusing your energy and love on your kids in your own unique way is the best thing you can do! 

It also felt like everything I read would tell me the world is going to end tomorrow and I'm not prepared. Or I'd get caught up in others' judging or back-biting or whether to shop at certain stores because of their bathroom policies. Talk about anxiety!

Basically I was letting FB steal these little moments and the peace that the Spirit brings only in a quiet and unplugged space. My brain felt bombarded and overloaded with unnecessary information, and I just needed to quit it and take back my life and my mind again. 

I miss the days where we just lived our lives without all of the noise from our over-connected world. I admit I still do Instagram because this is where I record pictures of our family into albums. I like it better because I get to choose who I follow and what I see. It's a smaller community and there aren't crazy articles left and right telling me the world's going to end today, everyday. :) 

Who knows, I might end up quitting Instagram too, but for now taking FB out of my life has been the perfect solution. My mind is more calm, my heart more content, and my days just happier. (And I sleep much better at night! :))

No comments: