This morning we all hopped in the car to go to Madelyn's orthodontist appointment. We were running a little late and getting 5 kids ready to go before 9:30 always makes me a bit frazzled.
I turned on the car and one of my favorite hymns flowed through the speakers. And the tears started rising up. I asked Evan if he knew what song this was. He didn't, but he said he knew it was special.
I told him it is so special to me "because years ago as I was listening to this song I felt the Spirit whisper to me that I was pregnant with you."
I told him how we had hoped and prayed for another baby for many months before and how we weren't sure if we would ever have another one. "And then we found out we were having you, Evan!"
I told him how I saw him up on the ultrasound screen before his heart even started beating, and again when it did. I told him how we named him Evan because it means God is Gracious, "and that is exactly how we felt when He gave us you."
That was 8 years ago, and this little boy of mine will soon be baptized! I looked through my rear view mirror at all FIVE of my beautiful children, and as the light and the warmth of the sun started to rise up in the east and the words of this song filled our car, I couldn't help the tears from flowing and my heart burst with gratitude "for all the blessings life has brought, for all its sorrowing hours have taught."
Yes, God, my ever-merciful God, is gracious.

No comments:
Post a Comment