Day 4 of our trip was all about CHICAGO! Since we rolled into the Windy City so late (super early) the night before, we slept in as long as we could. I woke up to Henry exclaiming that we had missed the continental breakfast! He was devastated we missed the hotel's breakfast, but we explained that there are plenty of good places around the city to eat. Ha!
First we headed out to the famous Magnificent Mile to do some window shopping. It was just a few blocks from our hotel so we decided to walk. Walking was ALWAYS a better option as driving in downtown Chicago is ridiculous.
I headed to Ann Taylor to find some nice pants and shoes for Jonathan and my date that night while the kids and Jonathan went to the Nike and Disney stores. Jane had a major blowout at the Disney store and so I hurried to meet them and change Jane. We bought her a cute new outfit and then headed over to the LEGO store.
It was huge! And all of the displays were so fun to look at and admire. The kids had fun dreaming about which set they would buy next.
As we walked around the stores, everyone had a buddy to keep track of. I loved watching Evan and Henry take such good care of each other, holding hands everywhere we went.
We stopped by Einstein Bagels for some sandwiches and then we saw Ghirardelli right by and had to stop for a treat. Madelyn and I ordered the same shake we had at Disneyland and it wasn't quite the same. I'm not sure if they didn't put as much chocolate in or if it wasn't made with the magic of Disney, but it was still yummy.
After that it was time to get back to our hotel to meet Grandma and Grandpa Starr. They had offered to watch the kids while Jonathan and I went out for dinner and to see the musical, Hamilton. As I was getting ready, I realized I didn't have my purse with me and then I realized I had left it on the back of one of the chairs at Ghirardelli! Jonathan quickly called them but they had not seen my purse. Since it had my wallet and everything inside, I called our bank and cancelled my debit and credit cards. Jonathan and I weren't sure what to do since our dinner reservation was so close and we would need to go get cash since our cards were cancelled. As we left the hotel, we were feeling frantic and worried, but when we drove by another Ghirardelli we realized there are TWO downtown and Jonathan had called the wrong one. We called the right one and yes! they had my purse and were wondering why someone hadn't called about it yet.
We went there and I grabbed my purse and I was SO relieved!!! I couldn't believe I had just left it there. I think I had thought I'd put it in the stroller, but I was so careful about where it was after that. We rushed over to the restaurant we had reserved. It was a fondue place called, Geja's and came highly rated as the most romantic restaurant in the U.S. We were so grateful that even though we were late, they still had a table for us. After that rush of adrenaline, it felt so nice to just sit down and enjoy a beautiful, slow meal and to be able to talk together, just the two of us.
It was amazing! They first brought out delicious salads, then all kinds of fruits and breads to go with the most wonderful cheese fondue. I could eat bread and cheese for the rest of my life.
It is the BEST.
For dessert there was more fruit, rice krispies, etc. that we had with to-die-for chocolate fondue. They also did something we'd never seen before but was genius! They roasted the marshmallows and let you dip them in the fondue and crumbled graham crackers so it tasted like the best s'more ever. It was so incredible. We left feeling very full and happy but also very rushed as the show was about to start!
We found a parking spot where our car rack scraped the ceiling a bit, but luckily we made it in the parking garage. We raced upstairs, took a few pictures outside of the theatre and made it to seats right as the cast started singing, Alexander Hamilton. We loved it! Since it's based on his real life there were some parts I could have done without. But the cast and music was phenomenal and it was the best entertainment we had seen in a long time. We made it back to the kids late and Grandma and Grandpa had put them all to sleep. It was so good to see them and talk for a bit too.














No comments:
Post a Comment