Well, it hasn't QUITE been a year yet, so I can still post about our vacation last summer, right?! With a tiny bit more time on my hands now, I've decided I really want to get back into blogging. It really is so neat to look back on posts I wrote 2, 5, 10+ years ago and remember those feelings and thoughts I was having at the time, and most of all, to remember my darling kids and all of the adorable things they were saying and doing at that time too. I don't think they will ever stop being darling and adorable to me, so onward I go...blogging again. Let's just pick up where we left off. So...
Last summer we took an amazing ROAD TRIP as a family. Just days after we returned we put our old house up for sale and started the crazy process of moving, so I have still not completely processed this awesome trip. Hopefully posting about it will help me remember and relive these sweet memories.
DAY TWO: The next morning after arriving in South Dakota, we got up early and headed to the main event: MOUNT RUSHMORE! This was definitely a bucket list item for me and I so wanted to share it with my little family. I remember studying all about it in elementary school and how it was made and wishing so much that one day I could see it in person. As we were driving there, we started heading up a hill and I'll never forget seeing it for the first time as we turned a corner and there - in all of its magnificent glory - it was! As we got out of the car and walking through the entrance gates, it was one of those surreal moments where you can't believe you're actually there. I just couldn't stop looking at it all day. I felt like I could never quite grasp the fact that I was standing right in front of this iconic scene: Mount Rushmore. It looks just like all of the pictures you see - an incredible piece of art.
After we went through the gates, we went up on an elevator to an outlook spot where we could get a closer view of the statues as well as watch a performance by a visiting choir. Then we started walking along a trail up toward the mountain.
It was amazing as we got closer and closer to the statues to see more of the details in this piece of art. We tried to imagine what it would be like to work on that mountain with all of the dangers they faced - being so high up and handling dynamite, the harsh weather, and trying to figure out the scope and detail of each piece. It just astounds me that it was not only completed, but that it turned out so realistic and majestic.
The kids were very much in awe too. Jane enjoyed getting out of her stroller and exploring a bit, up and down stairs, in and out of the woods, and inside the tepee.
I think the kids enjoyed exploring the wooded areas the most. There is nothing like being surrounded by nature and able to explore our Heavenly Father's creations together. It really is humbling and inspiring all at once.
There is also a museum with tons of pictures of the monument being built and letters and plans from the architects and the Presidents of the United States, spanning over 14 years. We enjoyed watching a short video too and learning more about how and why it was built. We definitely felt a sense of patriotic pride as we read inspiring quotes from the four Presidents that are carved on the monument and as we learned more about the incredible vision, skill, commitment, and values of the Americans who built it.
We explored the gift shop and each of the kids picked out a small souvenir. The older four also picked up a form to fill out to become a Junior Ranger. They had fun answering the questions while we sat for lunch and ice cream with a great view of the monument. I just kept staring at it, making sure it was real. :)
On the way out, the kids turned in their Junior Ranger forms and recited the Junior Ranger pledge. They each got a certificate and cute badge.
We found a somewhat underwhelming place for dinner and stopped at a fun park to end the day. The kids had a blast seeing all of their favorite characters and playing together. Jonathan and I recognized a lot of the equipment from parks in Emporia when we were growing up.
Honestly, we could've spent a whole week just in South Dakota alone. There is so much to do and explore! The state has 3 or more national parks plus a ton of resorts and outdoor activities to accommodate visitors. I think we would all love to go back someday, but I love the memories we made on this day. It was unforgettable, for sure.



















No comments:
Post a Comment